Sunday, May 27, 2012

Happy Mothers Day?

Well it's Mother's Day here in the DR. I guess that means my mom gets two cards? Just kidding... but I did wish her Happy Mothers Day again. Yes, I am a total suck up.

A lot has happened in our first few days. I'm not always going to be able to remember everything or even remember to write on this here blog, but I have some down time now. Therefore, it's time to take advantage of said down time.

Yesterday we had an amazing adventure. Saturday's are our free days so we all wanted to explore our new temporary home of course. We started with a trip to the grocery store. We got to take the subway there which was cool because I had no idea that even existed here. Oh, and the metro is SUPER clean. Quite the polar opposite of the city. The grocery store was difficult for me... everything is in pesos, obviously, so converting is confusing. Sidenote: Gas is around 230 Pesos. I freaked out when I saw the price of gas! I thought it was in U.S. dollars and was so confused... It was late when I saw the first gas station so I was a little delirious. Anyways, after the grocery store we adventured the city. The beach is too polluted to swim in which is a total bummer, but we walked to local beach park thingy and played spikeball. Yes spikeball has made it to the DR. We made some friends with an awesome parkour team and had a Dominican dinner at Adrian Tropical. I love the culture here! It's amazing!! But one thing that's sad is the pollution. It's not just downtown but everywhere. The beach is piled with trash which breaks my heart. Especially cause all I want to do right now is dive into the ocean... today is mui caliente.

So today was our first adventure to church. First of 5 adventures. This was a very long adventure. The church service lasted 3 hours! That is a long time sitting and listening to a language that you don't understand. I had no idea what was going on. But it was very interesting. They had dancers and a raffle for all of the wonderful mamas! Considering I couldn't really understand the message I decided to take the time to pray... I did have three hours. I prayed a lot for the country and the campus and one thing in particular... deciphering why God has brought me here. I have no idea yet... but I'm on track to understanding. I read through Romans 6 which talked a lot about being alive in Christ and being used by God. I don't know exactly why I'm here yet,  and I may not even find out while I'm here, but this I do know: I am God's instrument. (Romans 6:13) and He has called me here to be used for His glory.

I am so excited for tomorrow, it's our first day of campus ministry!!

Wow I wrote a lot. Oh and one more thing. I have an obsession with Bon. It is a frozen yogurt place that takes fresh fruit and blends it all together with tart yogurt. Helllooo comfort food! SO GOOD!

Well, Happy Mother's Day I guess :)
Mucho Amor


No comments:

Post a Comment